Space and Time


So as most of you know, Marshall McLuhan said...
"We march backwards into the future"
(pg.75)

...and for a good portion of my time contemplating this video, I really wasn't sure what that meant, or at least what it meant for me. My first initial thoughts on making this were BATHTUB, but that slowly fizzled into nothing, as I couldn't really get my head around what I would make with the bathtub. 

So I went back to the book and tried to find something that resonated with me. On a second inspection, I came across this: 

"When faced with a totally new situation,
we tend always to attach ourselves to the objects, 
to the flavor of the most recent past." 
(pg.74)

What struck me about this was that, this, our current "experimental video" project, was completely new territory for me. And as I continued to brainstorm, I couldn't get the concept of hair out of my mind. Everything about it! How we run our hands through it, play with it, style it... it is a projection of our identity. Something that we can control, and arguably 'a flavor of [our] most recent past'.

And after all of that contemplation, I arrived with this video. I am not going to lie, a lot of it was just me fucking around with the effects in Premier, but I think it still came out pretty cool. Also, I think that is the nature of the project, to 'experiment'. I do not think it is realistic to know exactly what you are going to do with a project when you get into. Having wiggle room to play is how a lot of great things get made.

Anyways, here is "Feelings on Hair". It is kinda weird, so bare with me.

Comments

  1. I love this! I remember talking to you about it briefly and I think you incorporated a great variety of visual effects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your interpretation of the assignment very interesting and unique, and it got me thinking about how fashion as a whole has begun to recycle itself in the American cultural standpoint (mom jeans, leggings, etc. coming back Into fashion after going out of style following the 80s and 90s). You should write a post further going into that kind of stuff, I would love to hear your viewpoint on it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts