Environmental Ephemerality

Kinda disappointing that we don't get to share all of our projects in person, but I am happy to share my final project with all y'all.

I decided to do a photo series on Marshall McLuhan's theory on environments.

He said, “...instant communication insures that all factors of the 
environment and of experience coexist in a state of active interplay,” 
(pg.63)

I wanted to explore this idea of temporal environments in black and white film photography.

This project definitely tested me; working with film was completely foreign to me and I had to rely a lot on others for this project. Because I was new to this type of photography, the final production didn't go as well as I had planned it to, but hey, that is how things go isn't it?

Originally, I was supposed to scan in the film after developing it, but neither I or the lab assistant could get the software to work correctly. Instead, we ventured into the dark room to enlarge them the old fashioned way. Now, I am very happy with how the few that I did with the lab assistant looked, but I wasn't familiar enough with the equipment to do it myself and this whole COVID-19 thing made  it so neither of us could meet after Friday. 

But, I would like to share the few prints that did turn out with everyone! :-)





I know these are blurry, I had to scan them in on my iPhone, but I really love how they came out and would love to pursue this media again next year.

Thanks everyone for being great! Please stay safe and have a good spring term and summer!


Comments

  1. It's good to see you tried a new skill. Congratulations! I guess your photos were taken on campus, but it's hard to tell. They look great! I love the perspectives that you chose to take these photos. Hope to see more of your film works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these prints are so pretty. i really enjoy the overexposure of some of them haha. very good batch of 'first time' prints. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts