Maeve Jackson - Taking Care of Herself and the Land

this is her looking "pretty cool"


So Maeve Jackson came and gave her art talk on "To Find the Stillness in Movement" and the whole thing was "pretty cool". Unfortunately, I got really distracted by her talk and didn't take any notes, so this is all going off of my memory of the event. 

What single note I did manage to get down was that her video installation was the expression of taking care of herself and the land. I think the act of care can oftentimes be mundane and not very exciting and she was able to capture that stillness and make it into something beautiful and thought-provoking. Caring for ourselves and the environment occupy is such a universal concept that all of us relate to and I believe that is why her video touched me very deeply. I am from a place where taking care of myself and the place I live is very instrumental to my well-being. When I watched H.E.R, it felt uniquely personal and intimate, yet it felt familiar. It felt like I had been been in that position, only in my own life. I believe she did find stillness in movement; her video seemed to slow down reality despite her continuous movement.

I think that her exhibition speaks to McLuhan's quote, "'Time' has ceased, 'space' has vanished".  The illusion of both time and space seem to be lost in her work. We are instead immersed into what is happening now. While her video installation is rooted in two different time points, I find that the time loses relevance. I am focused in her movement, apart from the time or the space. The world she has created in her art is separated from those things. 

In class, we have talked about how media completely envelops us our reality, becoming past, present, and future. Maeve Jackson contributes to that. We are taking in her world through her media and what we get from her art immediately affects how we interpret our world.



Comments

  1. Yeah, I thought the gallery was pretty cool too. She was able to interpret her experiences by taking photos that showed different points of time, but all together in the gallery space becomes one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your interpretation of her work. It was very interesting and diverse compared to some other folks interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking care of ourself and people around us is important. As you said, her work does help me form a new perspective of seeing this world. I like your idea of her work is lack of time and space but rather created a single concept of what is happening at present.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts